With a great confidence I can say that personality quiz is:
- The most popular quiz type in the world
- My favourite type of interactive content;
- Most functional builder on Quizterra, which we upgraded a lot.
Today you can make your own personality quiz online, using our test maker for free. Basically, this post is created to show you how to do it, but step-by-step instruction is just a little part of the experience that I can share with you. So I decided to structure this post in the following way:
- First, I’ll give you 3 examples of personality quizzes so you can click every button and see how it works as a user. All 3 quizzes look a bit difference just because I used different design templates, currently (when I am preparing this article) you can choose from 4 different styles.
- Second, I’ll explained how I use personality quizzes on my sites. Spoiler: I use it as a tool to increase metrics and search positions of my posts.
- Third, I’ll explain all functions of our personality quiz builder, so your audience enjoys a functional and well-designed content.
- Then it will be smart to give you my editorial guidelines which my team follows when creating content on Quizterra.
The best way to finish this post is to give you an idea how to improve your content even without spending time on creating quizzes. And of course I’ll answer all questions in comments.
How do I Use Quizzes on my Niche Sites
Around 7 years passed since I got into the industry of making content websites. I tried different niches, different income models, but for some reason on every site I made, I used quizzes.
At first it was just for fun and the main idea was to vary the content of the website. The main traffic source on niche websites is search, so generally the most part of webmasters are just trying to craft as many articles with high search value as they can.
One day I started the research of link building and analysing my sites noticed that the major part of organic links is coming from quizzes. Although they looked weird, it was the time when the format was quite new to the market and if questions were fun, people loved and shared it even despite the ugly design.
Today, when we design our quiz builders we clearly understand the value it brings to webmasters.
- Engaging content improves the key metrics of the website, including Avg. session duration, bounce rate, pages per session, dwell time and other.
- With the help of quizzes you can route users through your site, making them pass though the content you want to boost.
- Polls and other interactive content respond to the user’s request to constantly click. This is a “clicking disorder” that is progressing while people use stuff like Instagram or TikTok – it’s getting harder and harder to focus on longreads.
- Quiz is a great toll for marketing purposes if you have any product to see or promote.
- Quizzes and Riddles are great to grow the organic backlink profile and even attract paid traffic from multiple sources. I explain this mechanic in this post of my blog.
Now let’s take those 3 examples of quizzes above and design few scenarios of how to use them on niche websites or blogs.
Monetization: Affiliate – Tickets
As you already understand, the goal of the quiz is to reveal the demand of the next travel destination and offer to buy a ticket (or book a hotel/apartment). I’ve created several questions to guess where the user might want to go on the next trip. In each personalized result I add the affiliate link to the ticket/booking system that gives me a commission if user makes a transaction/booking during the next days (conditions might be different, in Amazon it’s 24 hours now).
Even if the user changes his mind about the destination but still buys any ticket – he still has our affiliate cookie in his browser, so we have our commission anyway. Basically this is affiliate marketing works.
The quiz makes a job of a recommendation system. We know nothing about the user yet, so we need to ask him questions to make an offer. What I truly love about this mechanics is that we have unlimited number of ideas of what can we ask.
As better sociologists and psychologists we are, as more personalized and accurate offer we can make. And if we can, this is a killer feature of the content we make.
Niche: Product Review (hair dryers)
Monetization – Affiliate – Amazon
After the previous example this one should be completely clear. I just wanted to show you this combination of quiz + product, where the quiz topic is not that obvious.
To do this type of content you need to understand the pain of your audience and the criteria of how they really choose a product. This quiz if not really relevant, I did not make a research about hairdryers, I am not even sure that different type of hair requires different hairdryers. Probably, long hair requires a more powerful one, others does not really matter.
But still, you can apply this scheme to the skin products, for example. Make a quiz about different skin types and offer cosmetics or online course about how to treat their type of skin.
Crap, I should have made this quiz, why did I even take these hair dryers…
Niche: Expert Blog (marketing)
Monetization: Personal services (consultations, audits, Google Ads)
In this case we have an expert website of a marketer who is good at setting up Google Ads and offers his services as a freelancer. Let’s take an article about “The Top 10 Most Common AdWords Mistakes”. Actually, I took the live example from here. https://www.searchenginejournal.com/top-10-common-adwords-mistakes/216271/
Go to this article and take a look at it. Damn, I should ask money for such a great advertisement next time. Anyway, such articles normally just contain some text with screenshots. It’s okay, this simple format is enough to deliver a message.
But what other marketing bloggers should do? You might have a great expertise with Google Ads, but how can you rank your new article higher that old websites? You cannot do a so much better text, both will be good enough to rank high. Obviously, you should try something else.
My suggestion is: make interactive content.
Let’s start this article with a personality quiz – simple thing that changes the script of user’s interaction with the page. First, users play a quiz to understand where estimate how good his advertising skills are.
! Let me draw your attention to the fact that we could do a Trivia Game here, show correct and wrong answers immediately and even explain them. That would mean that we could put the whole article into the quiz. This is great for the user, this content is very fun and easy to take.
Unfortunately, we still need text in our post just to rank higher. Google will just not put us high if other competitors have text which people read, and we don’t.
That’s why I made a personality quiz which first says that user has something to learn from our article and then give him an article which he carefully reads to find what mistake has he made.
Let’s compare the new version of the article which has a quiz in the beginning and the old one, which does not. On the new version users:
- Have a longer session duration (spend more time);
- Read content carefully (to find where they made mistakes);
- Share, bookmark and distribute content more intensely since you made something unusual and helpful.
Sweet bonus – in the results of the quiz we can make a offer to buy our course or personal consultation. This is not really what a strive for in this particular case (we already did a great job which might lead to higher ranking in Google), but still keep in mind that you can use buttons and lead forms in your quizzes.
Conclusion: Quiz, put inside a post, is a great tool to increase website metrics and sales!
How to Make a Personality Quiz on Quizterra
Now let me give the concrete instruction on how to create your own Personality Quiz on Quizterra. The builder is pretty simple, but we have made quite a lot of cool functions to make standing out content. In the personality quiz builder we have 8(!) types of answers, which might be not needed to use in the same quiz all at once. But I still hope that all the capabilities we provide might be useful to make all your ideas come true.
This is a video with a step-by-step guide that you will see in the quiz builder.
And now the text text version.
To make a personality quiz we need to pass through 5 simple steps:
You will be able to hide it and start quiz from straight from the first question, so if you plan to do that, just fill the Quiz title and move on.
If you plan this welcoming window in your quiz, think of an attractive Title, description with few questions about the topic and a cool image/gif (I prefer gifs) to engage audience.
In a personality quiz we first write results, and then match them with the answers. For example, on this step we add 2 results and when we add questions and answers on the next step, each answer will match one of these 2 results. If user gives more answers that match result №1, this result is shown to him at the end of the quiz. Very simple.
Result window has the same structure as Introduction. The only different is that here you can use conversion instruments: Buttons and Lead Forms. These tools are available on the premium account, so if you have it, I recommend to add buttons even if you have nothing to advertise. At least put the link on another page of your site that is relevant to the quiz result. Or you Instagram profile. Or something else that will prolong the user session on your website.
Capturing leads is also pretty easy. You can add the lead form to one or every result of your quiz, choose fields that you want to be filled and a button with the right call to action. You can have all leads sent to your email immediately and you can always download the list from the personal area.
As you now understand, our goal now is to write interesting questions, add variants of the answers and match each answer with one of the results.
The question field contains the question text and image/gif, you are already familiar with this interface. The more interesting part is answer.
Let me give you the quick explanation of each type of the answers with a live demo.
- Text – not much to explain here.
- Pictures – you can add images and gifs here.
- Pictures + text captions – this the same type of answers, just drawing your attention to the fact that you can have text captions under each image.
- Emoji rating – user chooses from 5 emojis.
- Star rating – user rates something from 1 to 5 stars.
- Number range – this one is a very unique feature that we made in our personality quizzes. Use sees a range with 2 numbers on the sides and an element that he can move. The idea is to pick a number on the range. Watch an example:
In the quiz builder you need to set the left and right number of the range, and create smaller ranges to match with quiz results. For example, you have a range from 1 to 100. You create 2 smaller ranges: 1 to 50 and 51 to 100. The first range will be relevant to result №1, second range – to result №2. If user picks 36, he is one step closer to see the first result, if the picks 83 – to the second.
- Agree/Disagree – Another great format that is hard to find in any other quiz builder. User chooses from 5 ready answers in shape of round buttons.
- Yes/No – Simple binary answer.
The great feature that we made here is that you can change the button texts. Change default “Yes” and “No” to whatever you need for a particular quiz: “Agree/Disagree”, “True/False”, “Kiss/Dismiss”.
Add as many questions as you need and move to the next step to finish our personality quiz.
First, choose the way you want to display your quiz: all questions at the same time or one by one.
If you ask me, one by one looks perfect. User does not need to scroll that much and cannot miss a question.
Preview your quiz in every design template that we have. Each template has it’s own unique style with fonts, colours and animation design.
If you are happy with the content and styles – let’s publish our personality quiz!
Congratulations, your masterpiece is ready. Now let’s decide where do you want to publish it!
If you made a quiz for your friends and do not have your own website – just leave settings as they are.
If you don’t want the quiz to be published on Quizterra – switch off the first toggle and click on “Get Embed Code”.
Just copy the code and paste it to any place inside your article.
If you publish a quiz on your site, take a look at these cool customization features:
- Display Intro – As I said earlier, you can start a quiz from introduction window or straight from the 1st You choose!
- Display social links – If you want to put your own social links under the quiz, disable this toggle.
- Display author, date and view count – Not much to add here. Just think if you need this info to be displayed on your site.
- Remove branding – If switched on, there will be no mention on quizterra.com. This feature is available if you have a premium account on Quizterra.
- Protect from copying – another unique premium feather that will make your quizzes display only on those domains that you manually add to the list. Not a secret that doorway and other websites often steal articles and other materials of your website. If they take your source code, quizzes do not display on their sites.
Once saved, all changes are applied, and you can test your quiz wherever you publish it. What do you think about out Trivia builder? If you have any questions or suggestions – I would appreciate you writing a comment below.
Also, if you like the idea of interactive content and strive to boost the traffic of your niche or blog site – subscribe to my Youtube channel and join the community on Facebook.
How to Make a Personality Quiz that People Love
The post is a already too long, I am sorry. If you still reading, let me try to give me a bit more value and inspiration to create fantastic content for your sites.
Here are some editorial guidelines that I give to my team that creates personality quizzes for me.
- 7 to 12 questions unless methodology of the quiz requires a concrete number;
- Vary everything:
- Different formats of questions;
- Different types of answers;
- Make it look good:
- Try to use Gifs and Images where it is relevant;
- Take gifs from giphy.com
- Be creative;
- Show your copywriting skills:
- Use situations as questions (ex: Imagine that … What would you do?)
- Match type of question with a relevant type of answer (ex: if you use “number range” answer type, the questions should start with “How many”)
- Don’t be rude, don’t abuse anyone, be polite, opened and good to people. They see it through your content.
- Think of a conversion when writing result. Even if quiz does not have a specific goal, ask users to share it in social networks.
Subscribe to my Youtube channel and Facebook Community, there you find more use cases with different niches and types of quizzes. If you leave a comment, I can make a case with your niche so you can implement it on your sites! Sounds good? Let’s make a conversation below.